There are countless advertising agencies across America, some with 5 employees and others with 500 (Transformation has exactly 12 lovely staff members, just FYI). Many specialize in design services, others in media, and some do it all. Like any other industry, there are certain companies in the advertising sector that outshine the others. These agencies house the most talented minds and produce advertisements for the most well-known brands in the world. Check out my list of America’s advertising powerhouses and what it is that makes them so successful.
- Ogilvy and Mather. David Ogilvy is commonly referred to as “The Father of Advertising.” Created in 1948, Ogilvy and Mather is now an international full-service marketing and communications company that specializes in digital media, direct marketing, branding, and customer engagement. The agency works with companies like American Express, Ford, and in 2004 launched Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty, which remains one of the most famous campaigns of the 21st century.
- Grey Global Group. Grey is a global agency with 432 offices in 96 countries. Headquartered in New York, Grey focuses on digital marketing strategy as well as multicultural advertising. The agency works with brand giants like the NFL, Volvo, and Pantene to create “Famously Effective” consumer experiences. The “Mad Men” fans out there know that in the AMC series, Duck Phillips leaves the Sterling Cooper agency to work for Grey Advertising, which is frequently referenced as the chief competitor.
- 72andSunny. 72andSunny is known for being a master of creatives in the agency world. The company has a knack for producing work that is modern, cool, and resonates with younger generations. I’d venture to say it’d be impossible to find someone who hasn’t been exposed to the work of 72andSunny, as they have partnered with corporate big boys like Samsung, Google, Starbucks, and Target.
- Deutsch Inc. Deutsch is a diverse agency that, despite the name, was founded in New York City. Deutsch prides itself as being one of the most innovative advertising firms, and harbors cutting-edge technology, analytics, and invention departments that you won’t find in most other agencies. Droga5 has done award-winning campaigns for clients like Taco Bell, Volkswagon, and Dr. Pepper.
- Droga5. Droga5 is a relatively new global agency based in New York City. Despite being just a baby in the advertising industry, Droga5 has an impressive list of clients including Coca-cola, Android, T-Mobile, and Under Armour. Droga5 is exceptional when it comes to concept creation and social hooks㆒ the company did $126 million in revenue in 2015 alone.
At Transformation, we don’t make ads for Coca-Cola or Target, but we do know our stuff when it comes to local businesses. As a small agency, we learn from the big guys and also do our own research to determine what works best for our clients. Personal, effective, and affordable marketing starts here!